Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The Homefront

I'm holding down the fort while hubby is on a mission trip with the high school students. Usually we like to keep busy while he's gone. We are doing that quite well. Maybe too well this week. The house ... well ... no one is here to run it. So it's not running so well...


  • the dog is eliminating on the carpet (yuck!!!), a feature which is not being helped by our lovely fire-work-loving neighbors

  • we ran out of milk. I don't think that has ever happened before!

  • the power went out

  • Thing One is having a very difficult time separating... at church on Sunday it took two of us to pry him off me when I brought him to his room. When I returned he said "I was sad because daddy left and then you left." Sorry buddy.....

  • I couldn't figure out why the dishes were piling up... until I realized my dishwasher was on a mission trip and I was going to have to fill in for the week

  • the lawn is going to seed

  • I feel completely scattered because we've been too busy

  • went through a complete snafu at work involving a mother who was possibly lying to get services for her child, a forgotten $300 assessment kit I left outside an apartment complex, completing an evaluation that we weren't supposed to do, and way too many phone calls in Spanish to locate said family in the first place

  • spending 15 minutes I didn't have prying off the thermostat cover to turn on the A/C. 80 degrees inside at 7:30 am is not going anywhere good....

On the other hand, there have been a handful of lighter moments to remind me to slow down, enjoy life and take care of the priorities:



  • Thing Two (22 months now!) talking motherese to her baby doll

  • swimming with friends and family three days this week!

  • an unexpected phone call from a friend, just checking in since she knew I was solo this week

  • extra time with my parents

  • Watching the wheels in Thing One's head as he learns about Jesus: "Zoie can gwow up and be n angel instead... instead of a lady."
    "Was I born? Was I born in a manger????"

  • and our first attempt at pigtails

















No comments: