Monday, March 9, 2009

Sinking Sand (i.e. the stock market)

Over the past few months, I have noticed that I am doing certain things less often including opening any investment statement, listening to the Wall Street reports of the day and taking in any media regarding the economy. I did manage to catch that the unemployment in Michigan is 8% (which really means that 92% of people ARE employed). I know people who can't get a call in to the unemployment office as the lines as so busy. Our investments would bring only half the value of a year ago if we decided to cash them out (which we are NOT going to do...).

There is a lot at stake for many people - jobs, businesses, homes, retirement income. It's stressful. It's emotional. It's discouraging. It's only money. It's not eternity. One of my favorite hymns has been playing through my mind and I wanted to share the first verse:

My hope is built on nothing less
than Jesus love and righteousness.
I dare not trust the sweetest fame
but wholly lean on Jesus name.
On Christ the Solid Rock I stand
All other ground is sinking sand
All other ground is sinking sand.
Thing One and I were talking about 'scawy sings' (scary things) tonight. We talked about a special verse from the Psalms that he knows well enough to repeat on his own. "He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty." As one of our favorite characters from The Pond puts it, "My friends, we are well taken care of."

1 comment:

DutchKid said...

Joy - oh my - what a scare.... We need to talk!!!