Friday, April 10, 2009

Discipline Delimma

As our dear, sweet son is about to enter his fourth year (he's turning 3 next week!), I am re-evaluating our method of teaching and disciplining. I'm sure you are shocked to hear that we have to discipline our children, because, of course, they are perfect. But don't be shocked. Imperfect parents parenting imperfect kids. No wonder the Bible tells "children [to] obey their parents" and "parents do not exasperate your children." I've thought since becoming a parent that maybe there was a translation error there and it should read, "children do not exasperate your parents." Then as my kids got a little older, I am beginning to realize that if I nag, beg, punish, remind, ask, order and threaten my kids, I am first of all not getting consistent results and second not always teaching them how to monitor their own behavior and make good decisions on their own. The Bible must be right. "Parents do not exasperate your children." In trying to follow this wisdom, I am finding difficulty with two things:

1) the balance of power - putting my foot down as an adult and parent who really knows better anyway and his choices and then deciding whether to imposing consequences or allowing natural consequences to teach him - and...
2) how to hide my laughter when he does something really funny during a teaching time. I'm supposed to be calm, "flat affect" and not indicate a strong emotional response, right? Except for a little problem. "Mama! The naughty spot is broken. I need a new one." Yup, that's defiantly going to be a problem. My friend, Missy, told me a story about her 4 year old who decided she was only ready to say "sor-" when it was time to get out of time-out. I have no idea how she managed to keep a straight face.

I'm pretty sure little ones are cute and funny for a reason. Their little sweetness just begs love and forgiveness and makes it difficult to carry bitterness and anger. It's a good thing too. Thing Two pulled a "chubby bunny" with a pink bunny 'peep' today and ended up with pink drool all over... Snacks stay in the kitchen for a reason!!!

1 comment:

Kristin said...

I am so glad to hear that it is not just me!