Friday, October 24, 2008

Ouch!

My parents both have an inner ear disease that effects their balance and hearing. My dad's symptoms have been worsening over the past few months and he is undergoing a new treatment, the first was today. He basically got a cortizone shot in his ear drum & beyond. If you want details, look up intratympanic steroid treatment. For strong stomachs only! He did say it was painful and stung a lot. But the pain was short-lived. So the results remain to be seen. There are three more shots scheduled. Some research suggests that this disease may be genetically linked in some way; after seeing what my parents have been through, I must admit I'm a little concerned for my future. Based on everything I've learned though, I have at least 5 more years before I'd notice any symptoms. So until then...

No comments: