Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Special Time

Our son is now 32 months old. He seems to have hit the terrible twos about six months late and has been giving us loads of fits, crying, tantrums and backtalk. We have really been struggling with the behavior, what sparks it, how to calm him and then how to teach him to handle his emotions more appropriately.

God knew exactly what I needed on Sunday and I had a wonderful opportunity to be with Thing One, just the two of us, doing something special. We are fans of the Pittsburgh Steelers. We have the Terrible Towel and a variety of infant and toddler clothing emblazened with the Steeler's logo. And... if there is a game on network TV, you can be your last dollar we are watching it! Sunday night, FOX aired the 4:00 game between Pittsburgh and Dallas.

My timing was perfect. I buzzed the kids out of youth group promptly at 6 and by 6:30 we were watching Big Ben attempt to break through the Dallas defense and Troy "Polamu" tackle anything moving. I went so far as to prepare Thing Two for bed downstairs so we could continue watching the game. [There.. I admitted it. I threw routine to the wind for a football game!!!!] After she was in bed (during a commercial break, of course), I had 30 minutes of solo time with my boy! We snuggled on the couch, cheering and booing each play as appropriate and even got to do a touchdown dance.

I had so much fun with him and I discovered that was what I was longing for - something special to share with just him; a positive and fun experience that I cannot replicate. Rarely does a 4:00 game last until 7:30; sometimes we leave youth group in a timely fashion; occasionally Thing One actually stays in one place for more than 10 minutes; and hardly have we gotten though 90 minutes without "a terrible incident". Sunday night has given me the enthusiasm and motivation to work harder at my parenting, to be more patient and slower to anger. I don't expect my son to remember that night as he grow up but this is one of those times I want to treasure.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

I am also discovering that those are the best times during the "terrible" twos!

Thanks for your continued prayers and encouragement!