Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The Change We Need?

Yesterday was a pretty big deal here in Kent County. And apparently in most of the country. Todd took the kids with him when he voted yesterday. Thing One just about melted down because he really wanted to vote, too. I made him a ballot and he voted for everyone. ahhh.. to be 2 again. I personally walked right in & back out of the voting precinct at about 11:20 am. I stayed up until 10:30pm to watch results come in.

But really, one of the reasons I think it's such a big deal is because change is always hard. Regardless of who you vote for, why you vote for them and what the rest of the nation does, we hang in limbo for the day (and that doesn't count the previous 21 days of campaigning). Uncertainty is always ... uncertain. I agree with what financial counselor Dave Ramsey said today about the election: "I'm glad it's over. Now we can go back to working on what's important." Yes, the decisions our leaders do affect us but they are typically not life-altering. But it's what I do, how I live my life, how I follow God's plan for my life that is life-changing. God is so much bigger than our important elections. And what matters to God is how we as Christians respond to his call in our lives.

No comments: