Sunday, November 16, 2008

Monthly Summary

Every month, per government regulations and desire for increased revenue from our administration, most of my co-workers spend way too much time and agony over their Medicare monthly summaries. In honor of them, I bring you this special post of random happening at our house.

First, I'd like to offer [The] Still Life [of Canned Pears] [and unpictured Applesauce]:

Between Oct. 26 and Nov. 8 I canned 21 quarts of pears and 4 batches of spiced pear jam on my own as well as 20 quarts of applesauce with my mom and grandpa. I also froze 4 quarts + 8 oz of pears, 1 batch of spiced pear jam and made 1 freezer cran-apple pie, 1 fresh dish of hot applesauce and 1 fresh pan of apple brownies. I finally finished removing the sticky newspaper from my kitchen counter yesterday. Hurray!

Second I give you "The Jumping Bean":

Upon mention of a "big boy bed" our 2 1/2 year old was so excited to go to bed that there will be no more night time crib sleeping at home. The whole family "helped" daddy put the bed together. No photo documentation exists as proof that indeed, we all helped and it was chaotic. So far, so good! These developmental milestones make a mommy a little nervous. Did I teach him how to sleep well? Will he stay put? What happens if he wakes up at 5:30 am? Last night was flawlessly executed and serves as a reminder that our job as parents is crucial in teaching children the skills they need to be functional adults. Next up.. the ever helpful potty training....

Third, I'd like to present what happens when I try to photograph the children on my own, before church, in our 15 minute cushion (see previous post regarding what happens when I get off schedule):
Note: female child with toy cell phone in hand; 100% of children looking at camera; 0% of children smiling; 50% of children attempting escape
Note: female child holding empty smoothie bottle; 50% of children missing from picture; new backdropNote: female child holding recently procured object; 0% of children looking at camera; 50% of children smiling Note: Success!; 100% of children saying 'cheese'; 50% of children looking at camera. Rejoice! Give Thanks and Sing!

1 comment:

Oma said...

Way to go on the canning-- I taught you well...and the applesauce will appear one of these days. Aren't they cute-- no matter if they are looking at the camara or saying cheese, or jumping on the bed. I guess Oma will have to get a big boy bed set up for "nap time"-- we'll have to get help from Opa.