Monday, November 24, 2008

Generations

Taking a cue from my highly-organized, family-minded cousin, Marcie, I scheduled a photo session at a local mall studio. Lucky for me, I got to practice my winter driving as the snow hit about 15 minutes before we left the house. As I felt my blood pressure and pulse rise, I found myself praying in the car. And then I felt guilty for doing so. The prayer I was praying went along the lines of... "God keep us safe. Just get us there." And you know, it's been a while since I've had good communication with God. But in my time of 'need', I go running off, trying to get God to save me from myself.

While I don't think it's theologically correct to assume that God automatically casts aside all "save me" prayers, I think it is safe to assume that God wants more from us than that. With a shift of attitude, we traveled safely, lowered the blood pressure (mine was 102 / 66 last week) and glorified God all the more. My attitude shift came in the form of Veggie Tales Sunday Morning Sing-A-Long which Thing One insisted on listening to. Fine, fine. I wasn't about to try to change CDs with the roads so slippery. My shift in attitude came in genuinely singing along with the Sing-A-Long and giving God praise for who he is and thanks for what he's done.

So back to the photo session. My grandma, her first daughter (my mom), myself (first daughter) and my daughter (a first) had our family history, our generations, our legacy recorded. It was fun. We got some great pictures. I also walked out of the mall with a deep sense of purpose. Somehow looking at the pictures made me realize that 'it all' is worth it. Combining this experience with the previous paragraph, I can't put what I feel into words that make sense. Coming into this Thanksgiving week, I was struggling with what I thought I was thankful for, physical things aside. Today I know.

What are you thanking God for this week?

1 comment:

anne said...

It is so fabulous that you were able to take this picture. Your daughter and family will treasure it!